So who do you know that suffers from frequent insomnia? You know the type, coffee drinking, bags under eyes, dull complexion, slow healing wounds,irritable, achy body…oh wait…are we talking about YOU? I have some helpful tips that can help your sleep.
1. No screens 20 minutes prior to bedtime: forget about playing backgammon on your phone, watching that last episode of House of Cards or checking your Tinder account (it can wait until morning).
2. Quiet time: A sound machine can help
3. Dark room: Blackout curtains, although not the prettiest will keep an annoying street lamp from disrupting your sleep cycle.
4. No sugar 4 hours before bedtime. A bit of protein can be helpful, think spoon full of almond butter or hard boiled egg.
5. Cool bedroom…I mean, I know your room is super cool, you spent a lot of time picking out that duvet cover and curtain combo…But keep the thermostat down. Have slippers by the bed for when you get up in the morning.
If you are already doing all these things and still struggling, consult with your friendly neighborhood acupuncturist. They will be able to recommend herbal remedies and/or dietary changes in addition to an acupuncture treatment. Acupuncture can be helpful after the first visit, but typically it takes 3-5 visits to effect a real change, depending on the etiology of your sleep issue.