Hello friends and family (and my 2 other blog followers) 🙂
This week my blog is going to be a bit different. I had the privilege of spending this weekend with my best childhood friend and her family on the days following her mothers passing. Knowing me, I went straight to the grocery store and whipped up a roast in the crock pot. The next morning we went to her Mom’s and on the counter, on the top of her recipe box was the recipe for the exact roast I made, down to the number of carrots I put in the pot. Everyone loved it and it was bittersweet to see how my best friends mom has influenced my cooking.
Here is the recipe for an easy fall roast:
- 2 lb Roast-beef or buffalo
- 1 onion
- 2 peeled carrots
- 2 stalks celery (with leafy part if available, adds great flavor)
- 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 can sweet corn
- 3 red potatoes quartered
- 8 ounces water
- salt and pepper (at least a teaspoon of each)
- Chop up all the veggies and put them on the bottom of crock pot
- Put meat on top and nestle it within the veggies, put the water and salt in
- Set crock pot on low for 5-6 hours (crock pots times and heat vary) if you don’t have a crock pot put it in a covered roasting pan at 250 for 5 hours. This is a basic recipe, you can add other veggies, a bit of kitchen bouquet, 8 ounces of beef broth instead of water, a half can of beer instead of water, a tablespoon of molasses is good if you put in a jalapeno, grated ginger, start with the basic recipe I put up and have fun modifying it.
Thanks for reading! Enjoy!